The Greyhound bus drops me off at Baker, California and I reassemble my bicycle and pack it up. It's already getting late in the afternoon. I ride 10 miles into Mojave National Preserve on Kelbaker Road, gradually rising 1000 feet in the process.
I set up camp at the foot of one of the Kelbaker Hills. I'm about 1/4 mile from the paved road and not visible to what little passing traffic there is.
11.8 miles, 1:23 hours, 21.8 mph max speed, 8.5 mph average. Elevation gain from 925 feet to 2000 feet.
- I ride into Mojave National Preserve up Kelbaker Road away from Baker, California
- Posts mark the beginning of a Wilderness area at the base of Kelbaker Hills
- Wake up! After a rejuvenating sleep, I get up and snap a few photos of the Kelbaker Hills area before packing up
- A different view of the Kelbaker Hills campsite showing the rocky hill behind it
- View northwest across the desert toward Soda Lake from Kelbaker Hills