I return to pavement and civilization today.
After a brief uphill on the gravel road out of Monarch Canyon to around 3700 feet, it's downhill on paved Daylight Pass Road back into Death Valley, passing Hell's Gate along the way.
I ride across the hot valley on Highway 190 to Stovepipe Wells at 100 feet below sea level, and continue on up to the Emigrant Campground at 2000 feet.
30 bicycling miles down and up.
- The tent is now set up at Emigrant Campground and the ten-ton bike relieved of its load
- Huff and puff, I finally make it to the Emigrant Campground; my world is slanted here on the fan
- I continue climbing Highway 190, looking for signs of Emigrant Campground somewhere on the fan
- Looking back down toward Stovepipe Wells on the slow climb toward Emigrant Camp
- Heading up Highway 190 toward Emigrant Campground from Stovepipe Wells
- I leave the heat of Stovepipe Wells and head up Highway 190 toward Emigrant Campground
- The ten-ton bike takes a rest at the Stovepipe Wells general store
- A plaque on the side of the Stovepipe Wells general store
- Arriving at the town of Stovepipe Wells at 100 feet below sea level
- Along 190 crossing the floor of Death Valley
- After the descent down Daylight Pass Road, I cross Death Valley on Highway 190
- Daylight Pass Road passes through some low hills as it approaches the valley floor
- Getting closer to the bottom of Death Valley
- Daylight Pass Road approaches the Death Valley Buttes on its way down to the valley floor
- Further down Daylight Pass Road, heading toward Death Valley
- Back on pavement
- I've made it up over the hump on Chloride Cliff Road on the way out of Monarch Canyon
- On the road out of beautiful Monarch Canyon
- One last glance at the campsite before dismantling it and leaving Monarch Canyon