Too bad my camera is broken and I don't have photos of most of this excellent hike! 12 miles round trip from my campsite on the east side of Cima Road near Sunrise Rock.
I start the day not knowing exactly where I'll go, since this stop on the trip wasn't planned. I liked it when I stopped here during my 2006 trip, so now's my chance to explore some more.
Most photos here are actually from my trip to this area in 2006.
- I have the whole day to spend up here on Cima Dome, so I'll do a hike up to Teutonia Peak and beyond
- It's so windy up here on Cima Dome this morning that it takes quite a while to boil water for coffee
- View of Teutonia Peak from the area of my campsite near Sunrise Rock
- After a lazy morning, I start hiking the half mile up the dirt road that leads from my campsite to Cima Road
- The road curves and aims toward Teutonia Peak as it heads back to the paved Cima Road
- Just before reaching Cima Road, I pass a point of interest: the "covered cross"
- The dirt road ends and I walk across Cima Road to reach the Teutonia Peak Trail, looking back to Kessler Peak
- The two-mile trail to Teutonia Peak is one of just two official, maintained trails in the expansive Mojave National Preserve
- Interpretive panel ("Desert Woodland") at the start of the Teutonia Peak Trail
- View of Teutonia Peak from the Valley View Ranch area
- The 3-mile hike up the dead-end road to Deer Spring climbs slowly, then I hike over the summit of Cima Dome through joshua trees
- I walk across Cima Road with images of the loop hike around Cima Dome still fresh in my mind
- I walk the last 1/2 mile down the dirt road to my Cima Dome campsite for one last night in Mojave National Preserve
- Cima Dome / Teutonia Peak hike route as viewed in Google Earth
- Mojave National Preserve map: Day 13: Cima Dome day hike including Teutonia Peak and Deer Spring