I'm going to spend a second night here at Furnace Creek Campground, so I leave my tent set up and go for a day ride down Badwater Road after a hearty corned-beef-hash-and-eggs breakfast at the café in the village.
Because my camera died yesterday, I'm glad to see disposable cameras for sale at the Furnace Creek store. I buy some, ride away, and make a random stop at popular Golden Canyon.
I lock my bike to a sign post, hike a couple of miles to Golden Cathedral, then return to the bike. This is my first day in 90-degree heat, so I take it slow and practice drinking more water than usual.
I ride out to the salt flats near Devil's Golf Course off West Side Road, then return early to my camp site and relax. It would have been interesting to ride further down West Side Road, but my water was running out.
27.4 mostly level bicycle miles
- On my way out of the Furnace Creek tourist area toward Badwater Road
- Near the "next services" sign is another which indicates the road to the Timbisha Shoshone homeland area
- I've risen out of Death Valley just enough to have a view of the Badwater Basin ahead
- A little further sits the sign for Badwater Road
- Riding down the road toward Badwater
- I stop at the parking lot for the Golden Canyon trail
- Starting my hike up Golden Canyon
- Golden Canyon does turn out to be very scenic
- Climbing these weird hills of earth is fun
- Hikers walking down below in Golden Canyon
- I climb back down to the trail in Golden Canyon
- I arrive at a sign
- The trail looks like it will end soon
- The trail passes through some narrows
- Next to Red Cathedral
- The end?
- Red Cathedral
- Close-up of Red Cathedral
- After walking back to the trailhead, I go for a short ride down to the salt flats along West Side Road