- Photo sizesSquare
✔ XXS - tiny
XS - extra small
S - small
M - medium
L - large
Home / Mojave Preserve and Desert bikepacking trips / 2007: Death Valley National Park bikepacking / Day 3: Gold Valley Road camp site to Furnace Creek Campground, Death Valley National Park 11
I enjoy the cool, cloudy morning around my camp site in the mountains on Gold Valley Road at about 4700 feet.
I ride back down the dirt of Gold Valley Road some eight miles to rejoin the gravel Greenwater Valley Road that I left yesterday at about 3000 feet.
After a slow ten-mile climb on Greenwater Valley Road's gravel to reach 4000 feet, the final 29 miles of the day are mostly paved and downhill toward Death Valley's Furnace Creek Campground (280 feet below sea level).
My digital camera breaks down on the way down Gold Valley Road, so there aren't many photos today. 47.5 bicycle miles.
- It's a bit cloudy this morning up on Gold Valley Road
- Nice view back down toward Greenwater Valley from the tent
- I go for a short walk up to the nearby summit of Gold Valley Road and look back down at the tent
- A little higher up on Gold Valley Road
- Gold Valley Road gets a bit steep as it rises to the top
- The fork at the summit of Gold Valley Road
- After the right fork, Gold Valley Road winds across the plateau, then drops down into Gold Valley
- Time to break camp on Gold Valley Road and begin the long ride down to Furnace Creek Campground
- Leaving my Gold Valley Road campsite
- On the way back down Gold Valley Road, I pass through the burned area again
- Near the bottom of Gold Valley Road, looking north up Greenwater Valley