I ride from Emigrant Campground to Furnace Creek Campground so that I will be at the start of tomorrow's climb out of Death Valley National Park over the Funeral Mountains.
It's already hot up here at Emigrant Campground this morning, and it turns out to be over 100 degrees F on the valley floor.
- One last view of the vacant Emigrant Campground on this hot, sunny morning before packing up
- Ready to leave Emigrant Campground, the contents of my camp site are packed on the 10-ton bike again
- After 10 fun, hot downhill miles to the Stovepipe Wells store for cold drinks, who pulls up but Phil and Renée!
- Gasp, it is hot here
- Beyond Stovepipe Wells, I cross Death Valley on Highway 190 and stop to look at the Death Valley Dunes
- The 10-ton bike takes another brief break at the Devil's Corn Field
- Another view of the Devil's Corn Field area along Highway 190
- About nine miles further on Highway 190, while riding south down the other side of Death Valley, I pass the Beatty Cutoff
- I suck back lots of now-hot water from my Camelbak on this hot ride down Highway 190
- I slowly approach Furnace Creek Campground, that green patch in the centre of the photo
- I'm lucky enough to get one of the Furnace Creek campsites in the athel trees
- A view of the athels and their shade from my tent
- Me, hot but content, sitting in the shade of the athel trees