A very short bike ride from home to the San José Amtrak train station, followed by an Amtrak bus ride to Stockton, then a train from Stockton to Bakersfield, then finally another Amtrak bus from Bakersfield to Baker, California. 1.3 bicycling miles.
To my surprise, a woman on the bus gets off with me at Baker to take a short break and asks me if I remember her from last year.
Suddenly, I do! She's the woman that I mentioned in last year's Mojave National Preserve bicycle camping travelogue, who was on the same Amtrak bus route with me last year.
I wasn't convinced last year that she thought I was totally sane to do a bicycle trip like this, but this year she's more supportive, seeing me return excited to the Mojave Desert. Gee, will I see her again next year?
After our conversation, she gets back on the bus to continue her trip, and I have a short ride from the bus stop to the Royal Hawaiian Motel just down the road in "downtown" Baker, with a stop at Alien Fresh Jerky along the way.
- The 10-ton bike is all packed up in my backyard at 5h45
- Waiting on the train platform at Stockton after the Amtrak bus ride from San Jose
- The train from Stockton to Bakersfield makes a stop
- Inside the train from Stockton to Bakersfield
- The train approaches the end of its route at Bakersfield
- The Amtrak bus out of Bakersfield climbs over the mountains
- On the Amtrak bus from Bakersfield to Barstow (and then Baker)
- The Amtrak bus stops briefly at the town of Mojave, California
- An old art-deco building in Mojave, California
- Main street in Mojave, California
- Next stop on the Amtrak bus to Baker is Barstow, at "Barstow Station"
- The men's washroom at Barstow Station
- After leaving Barstow, heading toward Baker (and then Las Vegas afterward)
- Desert hills
- In Baker, I check into a tacky 1970s room at the Royal Hawaiian Motel
- The motel pool below my balcony and Baker's skyline beyond
- Plush green carpet in my room at the Royal Hawaiian Motel
- A period set of drawers in my room at the Royal Hawaiian Motel
- Shower stall in my room at the Royal Hawaiian Motel
- Pretty curtains and dinette suite in my room at the Royal Hawaiian Motel